Sunday, June 14, 2009

San Diego Wild Animal Park

Yesterday was an amazing day. Me and two friends ventured off to actually Escondido to the Wild Animal Park. None of us had ever been there before so it was a new and excited adventure for all of us. We arrived at about 10:30 in the morning and before beginning our outdoor excursion, we all did the noble thing and used the ladies room. I mean really, who wants to be interrupted by having to do such a tedious act while exploring. But after finishing up with the absolute important stuff, we moved on to bigger and better things, like admiring all of the amazing Elephants. We watched them move around, play, and even pose for us - well, I'm not sure if you would call it posing . . . just ask and I'll tell ya what they did, but without words, just use your imagination :)) We then moved on to see lions, tigers, cheetas, giraff's, apes, and even some pretty cool looking birds. I loved taking all of the photos. However, lugging around a big camera bag with all of the lenses that I "thought" I might need did play havick on my shoulders and back. Thank God for good friends who felt sorry for me and after about 3 hours offered to help carry the bag. What I did realize from this venture, is that although I have a fair collection of lenses, I need to obtain a good telephoto lense. The one I used to shoot the lions, tigers, elephants, cheeta's and actually most of the shots, was my canon 70-300 IS. The lense is ok but the f stop on it is only 4, which made it quite challenging when having to shoot in low light. Thank God for flash. But after some good research, the next recommended lense that I will pick up is the canon 70-200 f/2.8 along with the 1.4 extender. The extender will take the focal length all the way to 448 mm, which for shooting wild life and animals will be quit helpful. The flexibility plays the biggest role in this decision since purchasing a prime 300 or even 400 L lense would be less versatile and just as if not more expensive. So for me right now, it's all about getting the most for your money. I am sure many others can relate with that. But just to give you a little preview of some of the real dangerous animals that we encountered, the picture to the top left I hope does not scare you too much . . . :)) To view all other photos for this outing, please visit www. photographygarage.com and look under nature and animals in the portfolio section.

No comments:

Post a Comment